The Rev. Benedetto Tissi Fund is composed of about three hundred volumes dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. Among the volumes, there are about forty volumes of the French Encyclopedia published at the end of the 18th century. It is a prestigious collection made by Rev. Benedetto Tissi (1795-1828), deacon of Canale d'Agordo, whose tomb is behind the Church of the Pieve in Canale d’Agordo.
The deacon of Canale d'Agordo was a man of deep culture and was particularly interested into French literature, especially the Enlightenment. That is why he collected its works. When he died in January 1828, Antonio Tissi, his nephew inherited the collection, leaving it later on to his own heirs.
During a summer in the early thirties, Riccardo Tognetti, mayor of the municipality of Forno di Canale and heir of the Tissis, called Albino Luciani and his brother Edoardo to his house in order to let them choose some volumes among his book collection as a gift. Young Albino looked for the Summa Angelica by S. Tommaso d'Aquino but he did not find it. He found the volumes of the French Encyclopedia by Diderot, instead. They were still placed at the index and so he did not take anything.
Riccardo Tognetti (1961-2010), his grandson with the same name, who tragically died in a mountain accident on 27 June 2010, decided, with exquisite sensitiveness, to donate the whole collection to the Pope Luciani Foundation of Canale d'Agordo that will give value to this collection within the museum.